10/11/2005

Feline Competition

As much as I love Ramadan and all the late hours glory, there comes with the month some tedious formalities that I m expected to fullfill, such as dragging myself out of my couch in the middle of my semi hypnotic brainless TV watching spree to get completely decked out for Grandmother's Istiqbal. At the Istiqbal I'm expected to flash my ebullient smile to every passing guest, pour tea/coffee, and pass out confectionary sweets and chocolates while being completely and utterly sized up and devoured by every encroaching eye that inevitably makes a mental note of my score and general rank in the female scale of marriage potential. Down with my 200 grand college degree, the four years that I slaved in school to discover what it is that ignites me, my worldly experiences and interests, because bottom line the basis of my score all boils down to how I perform and appear in social functions. Lovely.

So with all the superficial kissing and redundant greetings to the dozens of people that I don't even know, and that I hardly expect will have any impact on my matrimonial fate, (contrary to what Grandmother and Mother believe) I finally found a moment to sit down, relax, and perhaps reflect on the whole theatrical performance in front me.

In came Degenerate, a childhood enemy that found a passion to compete with me in every possible aspect of life, strutting down the hallway of Grandmother's salon, prada bag swaying in the air. I gaze at Degenerate momentarily, her Prada clad outfit disturbing my philanthropic conscience recently ignited by previous day's reading of "make poverty history" campaign efforts. We engage in the regular superficial conversation about life and work, usually aimed to advertise and embellish the glamour of our lives to each other, and subsequently to incite envy and mild depression, untill she shoots for the jackpot:
Degenerate: so CD you must be really depressed working in a government institution, being underpaid and all.
CD: hehehh..Its not so bad, half of the time I'm travelling so I find it quite exciting.
Degenerate : Oh? (Gaining sudden interest in my satisfaction and raising her eyebrows unwittingly) where do you travel to?
CD: All over; Europe , USA and Asia. I'm excited we're going to start visiting South America very soon.
Degenerate: (fuming under her breath) I would hate to have a job like that, whats the fun with travelling anyway? You just attend your meetings and go back to the hotel. It must be so tiring and boring. I feel bad for you habibti taksireen il khaa6er.

Ok, this is surpassing my ability to maintain civil behavior to repugnant human beings that I can not stand. At this point, I can either externalize my disgust by ripping her spine out of her throat, or I find myself vocalising statements treading on strictly banned territory:
CD: Really? It certainly beats lounging at home all day. So why did you quit your job? (Grandmother eyeing me intensely, considering I was instructed not to bring this up to Degenerate, for she was fired)

Degenerate mumbles some bs about having time to go to the gym, read, enjoy the spa and hang out with friends. In other words, make herself appear like the complete spoiled unmotivated idiot that she is to the audience seated in Grandmother's living room. Not that it mattered to them that she is one, but it brought wailing joy to my personal account and score of female ranking.

10 Comments:

At Tuesday, 11 October, 2005, Blogger Entrepreneur said...

Well, you certainly use alot of big people's words don't you? Some nice pieces of vocab thrown in there...

Your post was perfect at capturing the drama that unfolds at such family and social gatherings. The arab banter, the bickering, the chest beating, bragging and slagging... its a wonder everyone is "family" or "friends" is it not?

This behaviour is typical of Kuwaitis in particular i think. Why? I have no idea. Even with old ppl like my grandma, sometimes they can never be happy for you, have to slate what you're wearing, your car, your whatever... why arent you married, all the usual BS. The funniest though is when they tell you that you got ripped off, that they found the same thing cheaper... or they got the same thing but in Paris or London... its like get over it people... stop being so materialistically competitive...

fuckers

Moving on, i was laughing when i read how you dealt with the Prada girl, hehehe thats right, whip the taste outta her mouth. What nerve! Imposing her belief or feeling that you MUST be miserable, and that YOU MUST be sick of work and tired and whatever... i mean ure travelling the world, meeting people and doing things that she can only dream of...

the saddest part of all of this, is that these very people are so unaware of the desparation that comes across when they speak....


Poor sods, one can only let their remarks fall on deaf ears

 
At Tuesday, 11 October, 2005, Blogger Closet Diva said...

People do need to get over their materialistic obssessions, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. & I can only do the family thing for uhh so long, after a certain point I fully deny any responsibility for what I might say or do.

 
At Tuesday, 11 October, 2005, Blogger Delicately Realistic said...

Haha loved your post. Promising blog. I hate Degenerate already. I hope I hear more of your adventures. :)

 
At Tuesday, 11 October, 2005, Blogger MissCosmoKuwait said...

Great to know that someone else hates rasmiyaat as I do...loved your post and honey I felt for you when Degenerate oozed with her grossness...but looks like you're a gal that takes matters into her own hands and can take care of herself...good for you..typical Aries you!

 
At Wednesday, 12 October, 2005, Blogger Gigi said...

Woahhh!
So..
many..
adjectives.. >_<

Haha my favorite one has got to be "semi. hypnotic. brainless. TV. watching. spree" :D

Another point that got me nodding my head and laughing in agreement was "and that I hardly expect will have any impact on my matrimonial fate, (contrary to what Grandmother and Mother believe)". It's so desperate of them to want to display us to everyone in the hope that SOMEone will lead to their daughter getting hitched. Girl.. do I know where you're coming from :D I think almost every single girl I know will also relate to the exasperating priority that our families and society place on a girl's maritul status.

I've even done a little comic based on this very thing. Check it out :D

Anyway, besides that, I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this post :D I know soooo many people like Degenerate.. People always ask me how on earth I can stand them, I think it's because I seriously find them to be extremely amusing :D (It's possible that I might have a weird sense of humor). I also try to "cure" them by making them feel better about themselves in subtle ways, but their nasty old habits die hard, and often I get stuck with these people becoming quite possesive of me (cuz I'm the only person who tolerate them) :/

But your way of handling Degenerate was very cool ;)
And I second Del-Real's comment about looking forward to more entries on your promising blog :)

Gigi, expectantly

 
At Wednesday, 12 October, 2005, Blogger Closet Diva said...

D.R
Merci Habibti, and thank you for the encouragement.

Miss Cosmo,
I gotta represent for my fellow Arian ladies :)
& we should gather our bloggerettes and start a new order: the anti rasmiyaat establishment :p

GiGi
LOL! I loved the comic. Did you do it yourself? You are quite talented, keep 'em up! I took the liberty of printing it out and showing it to friends.

I used to practise your 'curing' technique on the likes of Degenerate, and like your experience, it only made them more clingy towards me which I can not handle. Besides, fighting nastiness with equal nastiness is emotionally satisfying.

 
At Wednesday, 12 October, 2005, Blogger Delicately Realistic said...

Lool Gigi loved your comic.

When I first read about Degenerate I said eew I would hate to know someone like that, I'm glad I don't. After thinking about it, I found out sadly enough, that I have my own little group of Degenerate's. I don't like to think of them as Degenerate's because I do love them, they are family members in the end. I just don't understand why everytime they see me I have to hear the famous "Cham sina bogalich?" You'd think they would ask me that once at the end of the year, but no, its everytime they are in talking distance of me. Not to mention the famaous comeback "Baaaay, ana takharajt min ilthanawiya ba3dich o ri7t iljam3a o ishtagalt o intay lail7eenich??"
*Sigh*

 
At Wednesday, 12 October, 2005, Blogger Baroque said...

hehe i know how u feel about degenerate..

i have one of those!

she competes with me in every single thing...!

god i hate her!

 
At Wednesday, 12 October, 2005, Blogger Closet Diva said...

Charisma, Habibti, these people only make us stronger, and more fabulous :)

 
At Friday, 14 October, 2005, Blogger Gigi said...

C.D. and Del-Real:
Thanks so much for the compliment :) Yes I did do them myself and I was flattered that you showed it to your friends C.D. :)

Oh and you're right about the satisfaction of fighting fire with fire.. even for us readers it's more fun to read about when we put ourself in the situation :D

Gigi, vicariously

 

Post a Comment

<< Home