10/14/2005

Weak Heart

I had some reservations writing this post, since it doesn't go well with the mockery theme intended for this blog. I guess I couldn't resist indulging in an emotional explication us females are so effusively notorious for. I promise it won't be often.

I wrote previously about Opressive Cousin, and his detestful manner in asserting unjustfied authority over me by questioning my social fellowships. So it shouldn't be a surprise that I cringed when he extended an invitation to join him for Futoor, seeing that his parents are out of the country and he was dining alone. For the record, I said no. Unfortunately for me, he does not take no for an answer, and under much duress from his demanding language and family pressure at Grandmother's house, I consented reluctantly.

I was plotting the whole day on how I would stand him up, because I really didn't want to endure another sitting with him, especially on my own. Come Futoor time, and I found myself sitting at the dining table with Parents, still plotting, whilst enjoying a hot bowl of lentil soup. After only a few sips, he called me on my cell phone to 'alert' me that Athan had commenced:
Opressive Cousin: CD, yalla wainich
CD: Um, you know, I'm kinda tired and I totally forgot about our Futoor date.
Raging Oppressive Cousin: what? (practically screaming)
CD: I'm really tired, and I'm having Futoor now with Parents
Oppressive Cousin: fine, as you wish.

Click
Respite, relief, deliverance! Now I can go back to my soup. Lo and Behold a phonecall from Cousin's hysterical nanny gone beserk:
Hysterical Nanny: CD, Cousin too much shouting for me. I no tell you to come Futoor, now he angry for me. I call you but you no answer my telephone shino sawee ana. Now he shouting for me CD. (I hear screaming fits in the background, he then grabs the phone, yelling obscene profanities at Hysterical Nanny)
Opressive Cousin: CD, did Nanny call you today?
CD: um no
Raging Oppressive Cousin: (yelling at Hysterical Nanny) You were supposed to call her, why are you lying..
CD: wait, Cousin, she did call. But I did not see her missed call untill you called me.
Raging Oppressive Cousin: why?
CD: I was sleeping all day.
Tumbled Oppressive Cousin: humph! Ok.
Click

While I was savoring into my avocado salad, another annoying phonecall:
Trembling Hysterical Nanny: CD, I am too much sorry. You come now, we make too much food for you. Please you come now, I make cooking for you. Cousin is alone, you know. (Her voice is disturbingly shaky, and her pleading actually touches me)

I continued to ponderously nibble at my salad, replaying the whole scenario in my head. Oh what the hell, I left my salad, picked up my car keys and headed to the door.

At Oppressive Cousin's dining table, I wasn't received with any special decor or gusto. On the contrary, Opressive Cousin wolfed down his Machboos indifferently, and presumptiously asserted:
" you know, it would have been a lot more fun for me to be eating in front of my TV, but I just thought I'd invite you 3alashan awajib"

Ok, how can I respond to that without being cruel? No idea. I opted for silence. The guilt was beginning to eat me up. We eat together in awkward stillness. He monstrously gobbles all his food in melancholic fury. And I am so stricken with remorse I could hardly finish my plate. At the end of the meal, he gets up and drops this on my conscience:
"we are family, you are like my sister and this is your home too. Please feel welcome to visit anytime, I don't need to invite you. If you like, I'll be watching TV and eating dessert, you can join me. "
He goes off to the TV room.

OUCH!

9 Comments:

At Thursday, 13 October, 2005, Blogger MissCosmoKuwait said...

Don't you hate it when guys give you that guilt trip..."we are family" businss..(rolling eyes!)..ok...he's your cousin..I can't say more..:)..but don't say I didn't warn ya girl!

P.S. Love your writing...and happy to hear about the epidermis..:)

 
At Friday, 14 October, 2005, Blogger Gigi said...

Hey c.d. indulge yourself all you want there's no reason to limit yourself to one side of your character (the mocking one) :)

Anyway I really felt for you the situation was extremely awkward! Bas ohwa ba3ad ma 3inda salfa inviting you to his home just the two of you ya3ni mahma kintaw cousins a7is madri shlon il-wath3 ghareeb! Especially since it doesn't seem that the two of you were especially close or friendly in the first place.

Anyway c.d. I really admire the way you bring a scene alive with your words...

I enjoyed reading how "At Oppressive Cousin's dining table, I wasn't received with any special decor or gusto. On the contrary, Opressive Cousin wolfed down his Machboos indifferently..." And well, everything that came after that.. and even before! I guess I can't decide which is my favorite part :P

Hahaha "He monstrously gobbles all his food in melancholic fury." lol 7abbaita Oppressive Cousin :P!
He sensed that you weren't overjoyed at the invitation and his ego must have been wounded.. we3alayyaaa..!

To tell you the truth everyone in this story pulled at my heart-strings... Nanny, Opressive Cousin.. as well as you.

Gigi, sympathetically

 
At Friday, 14 October, 2005, Blogger Closet Diva said...

Miss Cosmo,
Isn't it amusing that people pull the 'we're a family' card only when its perfectly convenient for them? I'm just sick of this whole family thing being drilled into my head, why can't I just live in peace?

LOL, and I'll say it again, I would happily crawl out of my own epidermis to avoid ending up with people I can not stand!

GiGi,
Thank you girl for your encouragement! I love the way you pick up on certain descriptions and point them out for me in your comments! Were you a Lit major? ;)

And you're right, there are some unspoken weird things in our society (such as me having dinner with Cousin ALONE) that unfortunately, doesn't seem to bother my family. They're only 'liberal' when it comes to things I don't like!

 
At Friday, 14 October, 2005, Blogger KimberlyDi said...

I can't imaging living in such an oppressive atmosphere. You endure it with a grace that I'm not capable of.

I enjoy your blog.

 
At Friday, 14 October, 2005, Blogger A3sab said...

CD, Ibsara7a he had every right to be upset, u should have been honost with him and told him that you dont feel comfortable having futoor with him alone.
maybe he likes you...

 
At Friday, 14 October, 2005, Blogger Closet Diva said...

A3sab,
9ajjah. What I did was wrong, hence my prolonged guilt. But sometimes its hard to say no.

I used to think he likes me, but he doesn't. He just likes to command me. Isn't that gross?

 
At Friday, 14 October, 2005, Blogger Closet Diva said...

Thank u Kimberly. Damn, Redneck's wife? Thats deep!

 
At Saturday, 15 October, 2005, Blogger Delicately Realistic said...

I love the names you give to your enemies, Degenerate and Oppressive Cousin. By the way I mentioned you in my last post.
Love seeing your posts, keep on writing don't ever stop.
:)

 
At Saturday, 15 October, 2005, Blogger Closet Diva said...

MC Arabian,
she's not the only one being abused....
but she loves him nevertheless.

DR,
Hey girl! I saw your post. That was pretty cool. Thanks for the link, and thanks a lot for your encouragement. xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home