4/22/2006

The Coquette In Disguise

It fascinates me how some women in this country will vehemently preach proper behavior and openly judge your (in their opinion) 'liberated' lifestyle, as though they are the quintessential prim princesses of civility and propriety. But when it comes to a socially valid agenda such as Husband Hunting, their cutt-throat nature and cunning tendencies suddenly emerge into full blossom to serve their ruthless quest of capturing their designated Target. The sudden transformation from 'pious and reserved ' into raging coquette is most amusing, as it demonstrates their amazing talent of being overfriendly and flirtatious on a total whim.

--------------------- -------------- -------------

While at work, I couldn't help notice the curious eyes of the Coquette in Disguise intensely following my attractive male visitor as he stepped into my office. A few minutes after he settled into his chair, she summoned her clique of 4 other girls (three of whom are married) to walk back and forth across my office, in order to gain a better view of this mysterious man, and perhaps discern the nature of our relationship.

I'll have to admit my visitor has often elicited my own personal admiration. He is handsome, tall, half European, with pink flushed cheeks and... he wears nicely cut suits. But after meeting his gorgeous Swedish girlfriend and faintly realizing that there is no prospect, I have become more level-headed and pragmatic regarding the whole (one-sided) attraction -and he also lives in another country...
But the Coquette, clueless to the aforementioned details, enthusiastically knocked on my office door to commence her attack:
Coquette: Hi CD, we just ordered some food, would you like anything?
CD: No thanks.
Coquette: (Knowing very well that I never eat at work) Are you sure?
CD: Yes, but thank you.

Coquette takes a few steps forward into the office, to gain a better view of my handsome visitor and perhaps to cast him a taste of her own physical appearance.
Coquette: (Facing the visitor) What about you, would you like anything. (her voice slightly softned and unusually buttered up)
Visitor:(face instantly turning red) Oh no thank you.
Coquette: (Sticking out her pelvis into his face and arching her back to emphasize her bosom's perkiness) Are you suuuuuuuure? (She not so subtlely elongated the 'sure' with an extra softened, meliflous tune)
Visitor: yes, I'll be leaving in a few minutes anyway.
Coquette: Sshda3waaaa! Taw il nass. at least have a little piece of pizza before you leave.
Visitor: ummmm....uh, well..
Coquette: I ordered some from X, they're really delicious!
Visitor: Oh! X opened in Kuwait now?
Coquette: Yes they did. Aren't they good?
Visitor: Yeah they're great. I love their pizzas. I haven't had any in a long time.
Coquette: Khala9 3ayal you'll have to have some...they'll be here any minute.

This mini conversation took place in my office without neither of them turning to look at me for a single second. It was as though I was not even in the room. But the real mind-boggling shocker was seeing Coquette, who a few days ago had critisized my short skirt in the ladies room, being overfriendly with this random male stranger. And she continued to bring it on:

Coquette: 3afwan, ma ta3arafna 3al ism il kareem?
Visitor: (immediately getting up from his chair and sticking out his hand) I am flan il flany, pleased to meet you.
Coquette: wil ni3im! So you are related to CD!?
Visitor: yes, very distantly.
Coquette: (Huge smile blossoming on her face at the word "distantly") fur9a sa3eeda wallah (she pulls a chair by the far end of the wall and invites herself to sit down) How come manshooofik wala nisma3 3anik? CD khashitik 3annah?? (she looks at me for the first time)
Visitor: heheh..la wallah, I just don't live in Kuwait. I live in X country.
Coquette: Waw. Wanasa. I love X Country, I try to go there as often as I can, its my favourite city.
Visitor: (who is beginning to seem enchanted by her!) Yes, its wonderful and my favourite city too!
Coquette: So what do you do there?
Visitor: I work as X for Y company.

Of course all the while my jaw was nearly hitting the floor with the shock at this girl's gutsiness. She is working it, and working it so good that he too, also seemed to forget I was present in the room. But nevermind that he was obviously smitten by the Coquette in Disguise, its her amazing unexpected talent that I am amazed and astounded by; within five minutes of the conversation this girl was able to find out
1- His name
2-His relationship to me
3-Where he lives
4-What he does for a living

And she also managed to invite him for a meal.

They continued to talk while munching on their pizzas and at the end of their conversation she sweetly gazed at him and said:
"Flaaaaaaan, amana! If you ever need anything from Kuwait, tara I come to your city all the time. Tell CD wa7na 7athreen" She turns to me and for a second I get a direct glimpse of that sweet gaze to which she had honored my visitor, and I too, instantly melt. Seriously, how can this resident ice queen with sarcastic tendencies just flip the switch and turn into an absolute warm sweetheart? I am intrigued.

She leaves the office like a seductive mermaid, with her long colorful skirt trailing behind her step, and my visitor/cousin turns to me, clearly mesmerized:
"What a sweet gal! She's so friendly!"

26 Comments:

At Sunday, 23 April, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

wallah ya incoherent if you saw this girl with her hijaab and long skirts you would not even think she is capable of half of the things she did that day! Ma feeha shay to be friendly...but coming from her it was a shocker.

 
At Sunday, 23 April, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

heheh la 7aram khalhaa talbis mermaid skirt ishfeeha :p

 
At Sunday, 23 April, 2006, Blogger Erzulie said...

So, when I was reading this I gasped and kept saying "Umbaaiihh" but you know, I kinda admire her, in a strange way. I know a few evil, black-hearted girls that transform themselves into temptingly demure, caring goddesses and I think "How? No really, how??" How can they pull it off so naturally when you know, you just friggin know it's not them? Ya3ny marat it6eer i3yooni min il tamtheeliyat eli ashoof'ha jidami. Mal Oscar ya3ny. Sij chithb.

 
At Sunday, 23 April, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

jash,
first x is correct :)
second x is not :p

erz,
I am in no way criticising her tendency for schizophrenia; there is a schizophrenic in all of us (by default, as kuwaities). I am however a bit bothered at how she defines 'proper behavior' and then turns around to be a huge flirt.

 
At Sunday, 23 April, 2006, Blogger nonnah said...

HAHA, very well written, thanx for humouring us *^_^*

Although I have not met or seen such live act, I do like "coquette's" bravery in revealing her affectionate side for single handsome men =p

And thank you for adding me to your daily fixes!

So long =)

 
At Sunday, 23 April, 2006, Blogger Erzulie said...

Wallah, her "proper behavior" is mee7. Shal tafaha? E9ara7a ana 6agat chabdi from the "Justifying 7jab" a few (underline FEW) women pull off. It's like they have a social stamp of approval and they can go judge and critique everyone who doesn't wear it along with the skin-tight mermaid skirts. Wain il thugul? Wain il adab wil akhlaq eli aham min il 7jab nafsa? Sorry bes ana ma3indi this schizo streak walani nawya eni ajamel wat'tha7ak to snag me an admirer. Oo 7jab or no 7jab, hathee moo ta9arofat mara. It's not only boggling, but it's bothersome...sorry for the eruption, just wanted to clear things up.

 
At Sunday, 23 April, 2006, Blogger MissCosmoKuwait said...

how interesting!...bottom line..the guy forgot his swedish girlfriend..and let's be honest...he even might of thought.."walla kuwaiti girls aren't so bad after all"...so bottom line..us girls with short skirts..are so into not being misunderstood as the bad chicks..and therefore don;t flirt with the handsome man since we're decent people who know he has a swedish girlfriend...while the met7ajbah...who recognizes a hot babe when she see's one...is trying so hard to make up for the fact that she's met7ajba...that she covers it up by flirting away to show that she's not untouchable...a classic case of "Mohammed Versus Maryam"...this case of course is not registered in court..however..is a prime example of our society today...

Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury...I ask you.....would the real met7ajba please stand up!..:)

 
At Sunday, 23 April, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

erz and incohorent,

Everyone is entitled to have their own standards or behavior code. Some will be hypocritical and some will be genuinely honest about it. But I don't want to judge this girl wala ghairha.

I just think its amusing that when it comes to "snagging a husband" some of the self-righteous tend to bend their rules. :)

And to be fair I have known many mit7ajbaat that are stylish and look attractive and also have beautiful peaceful spirits that are truly God fearing.

 
At Sunday, 23 April, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

LOOOOOOOOOL MISS COSMO

LOVED YOUR ANALYSIS.

:P

The last line was absolutely hilarious.

I was a bit hesitant about mentioning that she is mit7ajba, but I thought it would be necessary to illustrate the irony & humor of it all.

 
At Sunday, 23 April, 2006, Blogger Erzulie said...

CD: Sorry for coming off a bit too harshly, bit I can't swallow walking oxymorons, mit7ajba aw moo mit7ajba.

 
At Monday, 24 April, 2006, Blogger A3sab said...

loool CD, ish-hal yara3ah..3ala golat-hum yama ta7t issawahi dawahi..i9adgeen illi mfar3at (7ijabless) uhma illi 6'aie3een bi6ooshah ew 3ala wyoohum..well most of them.

kil ma ashoof ithnain emwa3deen ew minkhasheen bissayarah ti6la3 ilbint mit7ajbah ma3a il2asaf.

 
At Monday, 24 April, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

erz,
ikhthay ra7tich darling. I understand your frustation, but once you come and live here and see the consistent ironies & contradictions, you'll find them very funny :)

zz,
Apparently some guys like outgoing personalities.

And you can get a mermaid skirt from Souq Fahaheel :p

A3sab,
I've seen much worse.

Hug
whats with your obsession with OC?

 
At Monday, 24 April, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

flirting has nothing to do with being met7ajba or not ... it's all about the person's attitude and manners .

 
At Monday, 24 April, 2006, Blogger BeeCrazy said...

omG...with those skillz, the girl should have been married by now! lol Thanks CD, for another brilliant peek into our Muslim societies!

 
At Tuesday, 25 April, 2006, Blogger Nooni said...

she didnt know if he's available or not? :P

 
At Tuesday, 25 April, 2006, Blogger Delicately Realistic said...

Hfff I need to learn to do that. I don't say hi & only speak when im spoken to with yes/no questions oh & im mit7ajba! See the dilemma?

Note to self:
Be friendly tomorrow.
Please try.

 
At Thursday, 27 April, 2006, Blogger Shwaish said...

ok this is the first time that i have seen this blog and usually i dont comment but wow ok i was gasping as well but u see i guess to her if shes husband-searching then its ok like maybe alls fair in love and war. so i guess whats weird to me is that she can transform just to snatch a guy and not that shes mit7gba and flirting cuz well thats ok i guess unless shes like preaching decorum and stuff

 
At Thursday, 27 April, 2006, Blogger Purgatory said...

I think I know the guy

 
At Thursday, 27 April, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

d
I agree, but its also desperate...

anonymous
I agree, but I was also making a different point.

white silk
Those girls will concot the most sophisticated and elaborate schemes to land a husband.

This is nothing.

JA
I don't think it mattered

Sweet DR
Just be yourself. :)

Echi
girl where u been at! Miss u!

princess
right on the money!
She transforms completely, and compromises her own defined decorm for this specific agenda!

purg
oh yeah?

Ask him for me, if he still thinks about the random chick that bought him pizza. LOL

 
At Thursday, 27 April, 2006, Blogger Purgatory said...

I said I know him, not that I know know him :P

 
At Friday, 28 April, 2006, Blogger Lola said...

I just can't stand hypocrisy... There you are, sans hijab, with your "short skirt" being judged by her, and yet I bet you could not hold a candle to this "conservative" mithajba's flirting!!! Why the hijab??? Why pretend? I just hate that. Flirt by all means, but don't pretend and don't judge others!

Your posts are hilarious - I liked the conversation with your aunt :)

 
At Friday, 28 April, 2006, Blogger Dakhtour said...

Oh my god! what a style?
I think she is the devil... so be aware of her in the future.
By the way I'm new to the blogsphere and this is the 1st time i c ur post...It was really a great one and really liked ur style... Waiting 4 the next one ;)

 
At Saturday, 29 April, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have seen best friends break up over a man

 
At Monday, 01 May, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

raine,
EXACTLY :) Don't judge others!

Its Zizo Time,
merci boucoup

Anony,
I have seen bestfriends turn into hateful enemies because of a man. The irony is, both of these girls are now married to different men, but they still don't talk to each other.

 
At Monday, 01 May, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

purg,
that really made sense :p

 
At Wednesday, 10 December, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So though this is already 2.5 years old, it's powerful, especially her posture yoga -

I don't get how you determined she was husband-hunting. Maybe she was just snagging you for fun. Care to explain?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home