5/03/2006

Big Pimpin

Vocabulary word of the day:

PHILISTINE

philistine: an unsophisticated person who lacks knowledge in art, culture and the finer things in life.

--------------
Contrary to popular belief/assumption, our dear "islamic" MPs are not the philistines we expect them to be. They swim in fashionable beaches in Cancun, they party in happening nightclubs in Turkey, and they unwind in the most luxurious spas of Tuscany.

And that is all fine by me.

But when you see them screaming and roaring against women's rights, graduation parties, and nancy 3ajrum's cleavage, you would expect that they would have a somewhat "pious" dress code to show for all this genuine "religious" zeal.

Because I was quite shocked when I found myself sharing an elevator with one of the famous extreme "islamic" MPs; on the outset he appeared as expected in the "islamic" gear: short dishdasha up to his knees, and an elongated beard all the way down to his chest.

But as I stepped closer to get in the elevator, I was nearly blinded by the iced- out watch on his right hand. It was as big as his head (no pun intended), and in it were some sparkling stones dancing around like little stars on a night sky.. Further up to his fingers was a ring sporting the same and dare I say matching precious stones of his watch.

It took all the strength I had not to turn to him, gaze into his eyes and say:
"DUDE! PIMP MY LIFE!"

Seriously, (if my information is correct), a few years ago, this man supposedly worked as a mo2athin in an inconspicuous mosque in Fahaheel. Today, he is standing before me DECKED OUT in expensive bling.

He notices my blatant stare at his right hand, and I could swear the corners of his mouth rose in satisfacion. But I was slightly embarrased to be caught checking him out (gross!) so I quickly tilted my head to the floor and noticed his Valentino slippers....

Now I wonder, did he happen to stroll around Salhiya complex on a thursday evening and walk in the Valentino store to purchase these slippers? Or did he buy them from the Valentino boutique in Milan, while sipping his espresso and discussing fashion with the gorgeous Italian sales lady?

Or maybe he ordered them online!!

But what I would really really love to know is how does he expect us to believe him? Does he even care?

17 Comments:

At Thursday, 04 May, 2006, Blogger Tooomz said...

Since he smirked, my guess is no he doesn't care.

 
At Thursday, 04 May, 2006, Blogger A3sab said...

CD, kilshay wala ilkhatam. I hate it when men wear sparkling rings. Its too cheesy.
Wedding band and that's it. prefferebly platinum or white gold. Anything else on a man's finger is "too FLASHY for my taste"

 
At Thursday, 04 May, 2006, Blogger Shwaish said...

ayshay i cannot reconcile the image of a pious milti7y guy sporting such bling lol and yeah since he was smirking he got the desired effect and well i hear hypocricy goes hand in hand with such pious politicians i mean we all know abt the cancun incident u mentioned, and maybe (but im almost sure) that the whole pious shindig is all for show , to please the idiots who vote for them and to make them think that they r doing the right thing by that because plzzz 6ab3an since he's pious God is by his side!!!

 
At Thursday, 04 May, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

noo he doesn't...u wanna know why??
cause the 5239438190812093 "badoo" members of his tribe don't care what he wears or how he acts...as long as they're getting there papers signed...kuwait to ppl like him is just a giant piggy bank and "religion" is just a way to break that piggy bank

 
At Thursday, 04 May, 2006, Blogger Entrepreneur said...

I agree entirely with Neo.

Corruption once again, a centric part of day-to-day life here in Kuwait.

Altogether, religion is definately exploited in the region and world as a whole.

Anyways, doesnt our religion state that we shouldnt have any "priest"-type characters or spiritual leaders?

What do you call a Mulla or a Sheikh then? And dont tell me they dont have any power, they can get their devout followers to put their head in a bowl of fire if they fancied it.

Religion is a superbly convenient form of exercising unquestionable control over a population. It is human nature to both want to belong, and fear the unknown. It is against the backdrop of the unknown (future) that we are conditioned to follow, and follow with little logic or reasoning. "Blindly" is a word you could use.

 
At Thursday, 04 May, 2006, Blogger Entrepreneur said...

PS - Can you Pimp me whilst you're at it?

 
At Thursday, 04 May, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

toomz,
indeed he seemed quite thrilled by the attention

a3sab,
The ring was very vulgar. But the watch was tight.

princess,
I expected that he would play the "pious" part properly, at least while he is in Kuwait.

neo,
my question is, if the basis of his elected position is his 100000000 beduoin voters, (who don't care much about him as a person as long as they're getting all their papers straight) then why all the vehement and extreme "religious" fundamentalism?
I mean there is no need for the extremism if he can still get votes by doing favors and promises!

entrep,
I'm trying to get pimped out by Mullah boy, I want him to take me clubbing with him, and to take me to the beach in Mexico and to the spa in Italy.

Go find your own bearded pimp daddy :p

 
At Thursday, 04 May, 2006, Blogger Purgatory said...

And now you find someone else to attack, why look at people?

 
At Thursday, 04 May, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

jash,
rev al sharpton wayid a7lah minnah! lol

purg,
I can see you have some issues with my blog. Wussap, you don't like the topics I write about? What is da problem purgy boy.

 
At Friday, 05 May, 2006, Blogger Purgatory said...

I am highlighting things I notice.

 
At Friday, 05 May, 2006, Blogger Baroque said...

lo0l a religious short dishdasha guy i'm guessing with a beard till his knees wearing a frosted watch and a bling bling ring with with valentino sandals!

they call that PHOTO OPP! ;p chaaan 9awarteeeeh!

cuz there is definetly something wrong with the pic!

it could even win an ironic international photography award!

PS. next time mobile phone camera.. ;p

 
At Saturday, 06 May, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

purgy pie,
Despite your weak training in psychology, I am fully welcoming your passionate aspiration to become the blogosphere's official psychologist/prosecutor/defense lawyer/ editor!

I think one of the most charming aspects of having a mid life crisis is the sudden interest in exploring new career paths.

But untill you actually act upon your aspiration and get your degree in psychology/law/journalism, spare me your 'hilighting' perspectives :p

 
At Saturday, 06 May, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

baroque,
I have become so accustomed to witnessing walking oxymorons and raging paradoxes that I no longer appreciate its great potential for a "photo opp".

 
At Saturday, 06 May, 2006, Blogger Purgatory said...

You know what you have to do, so do it and lets see :)

 
At Saturday, 06 May, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

I don't have to do anything, but if you want something done, do it YOURSELF, and we'll see...

 
At Saturday, 06 May, 2006, Blogger Purgatory said...

No.

 
At Saturday, 06 May, 2006, Blogger A3sab said...

yalla next post

 

Post a Comment

<< Home