5/28/2006

A curmudgeon on a power trip

Vocabulary word of the day:

CURMUDGEON

curmudgeon: an irascible ill-temepered person

-----------------------------
In a normal world that follows the laws of logic and basic physics, when a person is promoted to a higher position and assumes greater responsiblity over his colleages, a new wave of confidence and satisfaction would envelope the employee as he rides up the glorious ladder of his career. Flowers and chocolates are sent, felicitations and congratulatory notes are expressed, and a shining promising light emanates over his future and radiates his disposition. But over here in government land, when an employee gets promoted (usually by default rather than true merit), he becomes more bigoted, irascible, egotistical, suddenly insecure about his newly established power, extremely aware of local gossip and consequently, transforms into a full-fledged CURMUDGEON.

It suddenly becomes the curmudgeon's mission in life to self-aggrandize his authoriy and aggressively emphasize his power over the people beneath him. And this is where I find myself being reprimanded for the most inconcievable ridiculous things, such as forwarding an email (which was sent to me in error) to the intended recipient. According to him, anything I send out of my inbox has be to checked with him first.
CD: but sir, this email was sent to me in error, I was simply forwarding it to the person that was supposed to receive it.
CURMUDGEON: You should have checked with me! I am your boss, I must be aware of anything and everything that leaves from my department.

I resist the urge to say "No need to remind me of your power honey, I'm the one that hand picked your chocolates for the occasion." And instead, I retort with the simple ginger polite response of "I understand".

But the other day I was asked to accompany him to an out-of-site meeting, the location of which he is unfamiliar with. As soon as we got out of the car, I led him inside the building and into the hallway of our designated meeting place, and this is where he suddenly bursts out with :
"CD, why are you walking in front of me?"
I incredulously awoke from my daze to see what he was fussing about, and noticed that I was only ONE step in front of him.
CD: Oh, I'm sorry, I'm just leading you the way.
CURMUDGEON: but you shouldn't walk in front of me, I'm your boss!
CD: I'm sorry, I unconsciously tend to walk a bit fast.
CURMUDGEON: yes you do. Walk slower.

So I slow down accordingly and I find him pracitically sprinting to be physcially ahead of me, making ME trail behind him as he springs his neck backwards to ask for directions. Right. All righty then. I'm sorry Im unaware of this appropriate etiquette of "walking with your superior", who am I but a lowly subordinate employee that continues to commit the sinful transgression of undermining your authority, and is in turn duly castigated with a verbal lashing filled with innuendos and unfounded angst.

Like the time I had my request for a vacation leave rejected. (I know I already wrote about it, but I'm still pissed). Usually my process is to fill out the form, and then bring it over to my boss and ask him for his signature -which is basically getting his verbal and written consent at the same time. But according to him, by filling out that form, I was already assuming that he was going to accept my vacation leave, and in that way I was undermining his authority. From what I understand, I am supposed to recieve his verbal consent FIRST and foremost, and then merrily trot away to produce the form.

On days when I am low in spirits, it really does take a considerable amount of strength for me to suppress myself from saying:

"Good grief. Get a grip.......and get a therapist while you're at it"

21 Comments:

At Sunday, 28 May, 2006, Blogger don_veto said...

Take back the chocolates and the flowers, he doesn't deserve them.

 
At Sunday, 28 May, 2006, Blogger N.A. said...

I know exactly what you mean. I don't really get my senior employees/bosses.

Curmudgeon.. that's a fancy looking word for an iltolerant boss.. and I can't even pronounce it.

 
At Sunday, 28 May, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

don veto,
And how do you propose I do so?
Should I just march into his office and say:
"I resent the fact that I have to get your permission for everytime I plan to cough, sneeze and breathe. Give me back my chocolates!"

N.a,
I love words! I try to learn a fancy one every day... and I instantly thought of my boss when I learned "curmudgeon". Heheh I'm not sure how I'm supposed to pronounce it either.

welcome to my blog :)

 
At Sunday, 28 May, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

2 words...allah i3eenich

 
At Sunday, 28 May, 2006, Blogger don_veto said...

Move the chocolate box and "accidentally" drop in over the flowers toppling the fancy vase.

Bye bye flowers and chocolates, 2 birds with one stone.

 
At Sunday, 28 May, 2006, Blogger sexygoba said...

Your boss is an unprofessional mofo. I don't know why you're still in that place!!!

Noone deserves such treatment.

 
At Sunday, 28 May, 2006, Blogger Erzulie said...

You know, chocolate covered ant bars could be homemade.

 
At Sunday, 28 May, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

neo
Thanks :). Experiences like this make me closer to GOD. I find myself reciting 90rat il zilzila everytime I go talk to him.

don v,
LOL! You know what, I am such a klutz (and a famous one at work) I could really make that look like an accident.

sexygoba,
it is the precise reason why I was asking for my vacation! I wanna use up ALL my vacation days before I quit....but I think that twit knows what I'm up to.

welcome to my blog.

erz,
lol!

 
At Monday, 29 May, 2006, Blogger MiYaFuSHi said...

OMG! I can't believe you havent slapped him silly already!

Sij Sij Allah Iy3eenich!

 
At Monday, 29 May, 2006, Blogger Spontaneousnessity said...

yakerhee! I hate people like those! shino mo emsaddig 3omra? heff 3assabt! yalla bye!

 
At Monday, 29 May, 2006, Blogger Purgatory said...

You are a negative influence at work, the boss is always right.

 
At Monday, 29 May, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

miyafushi,
I'm glad to read people's reactions because it is making me realize that his behavior is NOT normal and is definitely unacceptable.

sponty,
ee walla mo em9adig 3umra. 7addah low class ow ma 3inda thiqa.

purg,
yal baffah, why do you always feel the need to stand out with your comments on peoples blogs?
Tara wallah we find you special.
:P

 
At Monday, 29 May, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Boss & I

When I take a long time .
I am slow .

When my boss takes long time
He is thorough .

When I don't do it
I am lazy .

When my boss doesn't do it
He is too busy .

When I do something without being told
I am trying to be smart .

When my boss does the same
That is initiative .

When I please my boss
I am apple - polishing

When my boss please s his boss
He's cooperating.

When I do well, my boss never remembers.

When I do wrong, he never forgets.

 
At Monday, 29 May, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

Hug,

hheheh your comments always make me laugh. Bas min wain yibt Zade allah yehadak?

Anonymous
LOOOOOOOOL! Loved that poem! I'm going to print it up and hang in my office :)

 
At Monday, 29 May, 2006, Blogger Delicately Realistic said...

Ambay!
Im stunned.
Min sija???
La wallah sij?
Zain ma rifa3 eeda o gal "First!" when he reached the destination!
Sij Allah ykoon ib 3onich :*

 
At Tuesday, 30 May, 2006, Blogger A3sab said...

out of this world CD! He's insane

 
At Tuesday, 30 May, 2006, Blogger Purgatory said...

Because you want to change the balance of things.

A boss is supposed to be a moron and the only place to fit him is there, therefore you should obey all his instructions. If she was a female boss, double obey, because they are a bit psychotic.

 
At Tuesday, 30 May, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

j,
I like the way you think. I'll be definitley play his game...

DR,
LOL! Dha7akteeni! Bas walla madri 3annah, athari ga3id yil3ab 7ay il meed wiyay wana madri.

A3sab,
I have even more OUTRAGEOUS stories about him. My dad waits for me to come back from work everyday, anxious to know the latest about this dumbass.

purg,
don't waste your breath, I have little interest in your advice/theories/expostulations -No joke.
:p

 
At Wednesday, 31 May, 2006, Blogger Purgatory said...

One day you will see the light

 
At Wednesday, 31 May, 2006, Blogger sexygoba said...

Heheh. Ya I know how it feels. I've been there but I didn't use all my vacation. I resigned after I came back from a week's holiday. SAME DAY. THEy FUCKING deserved it. I hate remembering that FUCKING PLACE. sorry, i gget really angry when I remember. LOL.

OH AND guess wat. They still haven't paid me for my unused vacation and one month notice! Can you believe that? They were supposed to pay 2 fucking weeks ago!

 
At Thursday, 01 June, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Closet Diva, I’m out searching the web for the latest and greatest information on immunocal platinum and found your great site. Although A curmudgeon on a power trip wasn’t specifically what I was looking for it definitely got my interest and attention. I see now why I found your interesting blog when I was looking for immunocal platinum related information and I’m grateful I found your site even though its not a perfect match. Great Post, thanks for your informative site

 

Post a Comment

<< Home