11/03/2005

A Time for Schizophrenia

The morning of Eid is a morning that can summarize a woman's life in kuwait in a nutshell. It involves wearing many faces that don't actually belong to you, flashing what you got in your bank account in the form of an outfit, and feigning a sweet natured propriety to people that you hardly know. In such a morning I wake up in a drowsy cranky mode and stumble into the shower unpleasantly. The shower is the key component to beginning this day, for only with water splashing on my naked skin can I meditatively prepare to slip into a day of full fledged superficiality, faked amicability and socially overbearing expectations.

The role I am expected to play is of a prissy geisha, fully decked out and bling bling'd with overrated jewelry. I have to make rounds to 6-7 houses of extended family members, most of whom I don't know (and don't really care to). It is always embarassing to enter these houses because I have no idea what their names are, and who's related to who and how the hell they are related to me. I don't know who I'm supposed to call "khalti" since I am no longer a little child and I feel really awkward when a man only 15 years my senior offers me money. It is equally as uncomfortable that the very man that just shoved a 20 kd bill into my hands decides to offer me short-sighted career advice, drawing references from his own unimpressive experience. But I repress the part of me that is openly sarcastic and loudly objectional to unintelligent advice and resort to my 'calm non-fiesty' personality that smiles, utters thank yous, blushes, and then looks at the floor.

The final destination is Grandmother's house, who has her own set of unfamiliar guests that are supposedly relatives of ours. The male guests shun away from the sacrilige of shaking my hand, and deny me the respect of proper eye contact during their simple nod of a greeting. But they do not hesistate to stare at me behind my back (my sister always catches them) while I degradingly pour them tea and serve them sweets, as per Grandmother's orders. In this submissive role that I adopt , not only do I conciously deny my intellectual superiority and accomplishment over these men that I serve and dangle my existence for, but I also find myself sighing and batting my eyes, staring at the ceiling and laughing ever so delicately. When I unknowingly become out of character and do something as blasphemous as crossing my legs, (apparently it insinuates an attempt of seduction), Grandmother quickly advises me in private to 'sit properly' so as not to appear 'loose' to the guests.
"ya bnayah, 9eery thigeeela!" she barks at me, God bless her....

After my academy award winning performance at Grandmothers, I release myself from the confines of propriety, drive like a freed maniac, and go home to prepare for another role. The necessary role. The role that flushes out all of this fetidly faked behavior that I abhor (hence the blog title, 'maa7ib rasmiyaat') and indulge in a forbidden extreme, the needed extreme that will stabilize me back to healthy balanced normality.

I peer into my closet to find the appropriate attire for this event (the attendees of which are confirmed to be safe non-arabic speaking individuals -:) thanx 3asoobah). My immoral black pants are screaming to be worn. The thousands of mini belts and dangling chains that flutter on this scandalous fashion piece makes any reserved woman look like she just X-ed out of an underground rave in Russia. The perfect costume for the needed role. I'll wear them with spiked 5 inch heels, flop a blonde wig a' la miss cosmo's incognito (God, I love blogging) and creep out of the house quietly in a breeze...Too bad I can't wear the cat woman alter ego mask, Haloween was three days ago.

Now I'm off to execute, 3eedkum Embarak ow kil 3am wa antum bi khair!

21 Comments:

At Thursday, 03 November, 2005, Blogger Purgatory said...

Even though you write long posts, and I hate, and I mean H A T E, hate long posts, there is something about your posts that makes me read till the end. Enjoyable stuff.

 
At Thursday, 03 November, 2005, Blogger Bravecat said...

This sounds just like any religious holiday in my little country :) Girls are all expected to dress up and be on their best behaviour. I wish guys gave us money though! Usually career advice is all we get (even if our careers are way, WAY more successful than theirs!)

=^..^=

 
At Thursday, 03 November, 2005, Blogger Temetwir said...

that was great!
the part about il 3ayaady from the men was hilarious

3eedich imbarak :)

 
At Thursday, 03 November, 2005, Blogger Delicately Realistic said...

3idich Mbarak sweetie!

I'm so excited for you, I feel like I'm going with you! Inzain I want details ok? DETAILS!

Hope you have fun!

Mcarabian: Hahaha! You have to tell me what happens when you dress up next 3id!

 
At Thursday, 03 November, 2005, Blogger Erzulie said...

That was lovely :) You're an amazing writer. 3eedich embarak...

 
At Thursday, 03 November, 2005, Blogger Closet Diva said...

McArabian,
Next year I'm going all out in jeans (thats if I'll be in kuwait). Hehh it would be funny if you pull your dress-up plan, do it ! I want to read all about the reaction!

Purg,
:) Since it is out of character for you to give people genuine compliments, you have no idea how happy that made me. I thought about pulling the blog down so many times, but the only thing that keeps me going is people's positive feedback. So thank you, and I'll try to shorten my posts just for you :p

Qatar C,
The only thing that stopped me from snapping at that guy was the fact that he gave me 20 kd.

Ma boy T,
Thanx man. (I had a feeling you would find that funny -the money + man) :D


DR,
Hhahah, DR, maybe I'll write about it...

Erz,
Thanx babe. Thats really nice of you. :)

 
At Friday, 04 November, 2005, Blogger U.E. said...

So many faces and so many roles. I'm glad you got to put on a more enjoyable persona for the evening... but when do you get to be 'just you'? An amazing woman with so much to offer parading in a front of people that will never be able to (or want to) appreciate YOU. That makes me sad. :-(

Your writing is amazing... I hope you never give into the urge to take down your blog. You have so much to share, even if this is just another role you play. Who else could illicit such a compliment from Purg? ;-)

With much love, respect and admiration,

Yours

 
At Friday, 04 November, 2005, Blogger Purgatory said...

Glad to be at service, keep on blogging.

 
At Friday, 04 November, 2005, Blogger Gigi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Friday, 04 November, 2005, Blogger Gigi said...

Hey C.D! :D
Great writing as usual, but to tell you the truth I felt this post was a tad more bitter and negative than your others, which always had a more amused and amusing tone to it. Nothing wrong with that, just not my personal preference.

"The morning of Eid is a morning that can summarize a woman's life in kuwait in a nutshell. It involves wearing many faces that don't actually belong to you, flashing what you got in your bank account in the form of an outfit, and feigning a sweet natured propriety to people that you hardly know."
First of all, I really don't think that that summary was fair at all :/ I guess I have a very different view of Kuwaiti women. I think they rock! :D

"The male guests shun away from the sacrilige of shaking my hand, and deny me the respect of proper eye contact during their simple nod of a greeting."
Well, maybe abroad it is considered disrespectful not to look someone of the opposite sex in the eye, but around this neck of the woods it is actually often considered as a sign of respect and restraint not to.
The fact that they can't refrain from gazing admiringly at you once your back is turned is another matter entirely. You must be damn hot, girl! ;) What a shame that they can't keep their eyes of you, eh? :P Oh those bad, bad boys.

"I meditatively prepare to slip into a day of full fledged superficiality, faked amicability and socially overbearing expectations."
Come on girl! :D, I hope you realize your own hand in your outlook of Eid by how you are mentally preparing yourself to see everything in a distressingly negative light. Instead of seeing Eid in that way, you could have just as easily mentally prepared yourself to see it not as being superficial, but as a celebratory occasion that people justifiably get all groomed and decked out for. Although I myself have consistently failed to get worked up over clothes for Eid (like MickyA, and often went around in plain old clothes) I always attributed that to my laziness and anti-social habits, rather than on everyone else's "superficiality". Didn't you yourself criticize Krispy-Dixie in her Infiltration of the Bimbette Nation post, by saying what's wrong with getting dressed up? Well, if there's nothing wrong with getting dressed up and looking good on normal days, than I think there's definitely nothing wrong with people putting in some extra effort to look good on Eid. Even though I don't put in any extra effort myself, I often look at my cousins and relatives who do get decked out with admiration at their impeccable taste and looks. I think it's quite visually pleasing to see everyone looking so well groomed and spic and span!

Also, consider the possibility that you are projecting your own faked/forced amicability onto everyone else. I personally have always felt that I was greeted very warmly and enthusiastically by both the relatives that I visit often as well as those who haven't seen me in months.

And as for the "socially overbearing expectations" that dictate that people visit their extended family and exchange greetings and warm wishes… I think it's worth taking one day out of our busy and self-orientated lives to visit and stay in touch with relatives who you would lose all contact with otherwise. You may not ever be really close with the majority of them, but I still think that maintaining and reaffirming family ties, no matter how tenuous they are, is a very good thing.

Anyway, hope that nothing I said here today ekoon waq3ah 3alaich thigeel, and that you'll take it with the good will that it was intended :)

Gigi, good-naturedly

-=*ViSiT mE*=-

 
At Friday, 04 November, 2005, Blogger Closet Diva said...

Gigi,
:) You are amazing. I like it when people agree with me, but I LOVE it when they don't (I'm not being sarcastic, I'm serious). I appreciate your honesty, and it was not 'thigeel' at all!
1-First of all, I also think Kuwaiti women rock. I think they are the best women in the world and this is why:
-they put up with outrageous male egos
-they swallow unfair double standards
-(especially the modern kuwaiti women) they are educated, independent AND they carry a huge chunk of the the responsiblity of raising the kids on their backs.
I respect that.
I did not mean them in the sentence; I meant the *life* that they lead where they must 'wear different faces, feel pressured to bling bling, and pretend they like people they don't...'. Maybe thats what we differ on.

2-Male eye contact
yes, it is a sign of respect not to look at me while greeting me. I was poking fun at their hypocrasy when they 'disrespect' me by staring at me behind my back.

And yes, I am DAMN HOT. Maybe one day, you'll get to see :p

3-My bitter attitude
You are right in that. The onus is on me. I do harbor a generally negative attitude about this whole Eid thing. Because I don't like the roles I play, the parts of my personality that I repress just so that I appear 'appropriate', and I also feel degraded in many ways. So in that case, I do 'fake my amicability' BIGTIME

4-Family
Seeing estranged family members is also very nice, and comforting I suppose. Madri liash I don't appreciate it as much as I should. I guess I'm just not really a big family celebrations person. BUT..... when a tragedy befalls I will be THE FIRST ONE to come running to support.

5-Dressing up
heheheh 9idteeny! You're so cute. Ee, its fun to dress up. But the whole pressure on 'what are you gonna wear for Eid' annoys me!

thanx for checking me xxx & love ya mucho (now I'll frame your blog picture and hang it in my bedroom)
CD

 
At Friday, 04 November, 2005, Blogger Closet Diva said...

Unknown E,
Thank you so much for your kind words.
Wearing different faces can be very stressful at times. I'm glad I have the blog to vent it out, otherwise I would have to lead a ver very dangerous double life....with full fledged personality disorders and all.

Purgeeeeee inshaalah. Min 3yoonee.

 
At Friday, 04 November, 2005, Blogger Temetwir said...

commercial
ur comment on mine makes it seem as if im greedy AND gay .. lol

not cool, not cool

 
At Friday, 04 November, 2005, Blogger Closet Diva said...

T,
afa? Tara 7addik fahamt ghala6!

 
At Friday, 04 November, 2005, Blogger A3sab said...

CD,anytime 7ayati i hope my advice works for you i'm waiting for the juicy details. and I hope you enjoy.

 
At Saturday, 05 November, 2005, Blogger MissCosmoKuwait said...

HOW BLOODY EXCITING!!!...Was it a Marlyn Monroa wig or did you go for the Pamela Anderson one..which based on your description was fitting for the occasion...I simply can't wait to hear about your adventure...after my socializing rounds where finally over...I turned to my sister who said "I need a cigarete" and I replied..."Are you kidding..I need a drink!"

That was totally fun to read..and you are amazing girl!

 
At Saturday, 05 November, 2005, Blogger Evil Knievel said...

Basically, this is what i have to expect when I go home for Christmas ... :)
Really enjoyed reading thru all your post (ok ... didin't read them all yet but i am working on it).
Please keep on writing!! And you can write them as long as you want to ... :P

 
At Saturday, 05 November, 2005, Blogger Closet Diva said...

A3sab,
Juicy details? Akhaf anfithi7!

Miss Cosmo,
It was a Shakira style wig that I ended up taking off...hahah

Evil K,
Thank you so much for your support :) It is comforting to know that family holidays can be 'uneasy' in other cultures as well.

 
At Saturday, 05 November, 2005, Blogger Temetwir said...

commercial la walaw, im just kidding :)

 
At Saturday, 05 November, 2005, Blogger A3sab said...

mithil magiltlich 7'aleech ma3a ilajanib a2man lich minil7achi wil qeel wil qal innas ihni matir7am ew 7atta itha sawaw nafsich ham yif6'7oon unfortunately some people have learnt this the hard way.

 
At Sunday, 06 November, 2005, Blogger Entrepreneur said...

ahhh eid... hmmm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home