7/10/2006

The matchmaker will be there

Part I
Even though my Grandother never negotiated a hard business deal in her life, or found herself on a table debating a complicated topic, she can somehow very easily manipulate me with her piercing eyes and defeaning stoicism, and make me do things I innately disagree with and find completely ridiculous.. Within her family kingdom, she is a grand queen in her own right. Her presence commands the respect of the masses, her fiery personality intimidates the empowered, and her sharp wit bites and persecutes the effusive.
Her voice, though low, is vociferous and oozing with power, often spewing orders at me ever so nonchalantly. When she demands, I deliver. When she beckons, I come runnin. And I'll be damned if I don't immediatley drop everything and anything I am in the middle of, or disregard my own opinion/thoughts in whatever matter she officiates when I rush off to her calling.
So when she called me the other day and authoritatively said "CD, be at my house at 7:30 sharp. Um flan, the matchmaker, will be there!" there was no room for whats, buts and excuses. There was no opportunity to express outrage. There was no point in arguing that my own parents met through love, and people are now meeting through the internet, and that this is an antiquated anachronistic method of marriage that I have no interest in pursuing.
The simple fact of the matter is this: I am to robotically prim myself, get dressed, apply make-up and prepare for an evening of being thoroughly inspected, brutally evaluated and biasedly ranked in the marriage scale of worthiness -by a third-party broker culturally known as the matchmaker.

The matchmaker will be there, she says.

Just what exactly am I supposed to do? I wondered as I daintily applied my mascara in front of the mirror.
Am I supposed to impress her?
Do I advertise myself to her?
Do I recite my resume?
What qualities am I supposed to supress/highlight?
Do I conceal my raging and often looked down upon chicken nugget syndrome ?
My instincts tell me to be myself, and keep it real, but society tells me to wear another face, and conform.

Part II
I arrived at my Grandmothers domain, the aroma of overpriced bukhoor instantly filling my senses.

Sit there, she tells me, smile delicately, pour coffee, tea and serve sweets. Don't be too quiet, she is here to see you and get to know you, not to converse with me.

What do I talk to her about?

Don't talk about work, or career ambitions, or travelling by yourself.

hmmm (half-jokingly) how about the world cup?

NO! She's an old lady CD, sports is not an appropriate topic. But she speaks French.

Ahhh....I see. A high -class matchmaker!

Of course she is!! She matched X couple and Y couple last year, and she is well-read.

(umm..who are x and y couples, Grandma?) I guess we can talk about French, languages in general, and literature?

Yes, whatever. Go put some blush on your cheeks dear child, your face is awfully yellow.





17 Comments:

At Tuesday, 11 July, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

نسيت أنّ مادّة خام أنا سأجعل جسمك ارتجفت مع نشوة سيّدت فنّي صغيرة

 
At Tuesday, 11 July, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

أنا أريد أن يعبد ك أقدام [إي] حالة حبّ أقدام أنا أريد أن يقضم على إصبع قدمك

 
At Tuesday, 11 July, 2006, Blogger don_veto said...

Your Grandma sounds like a strong capable lady that gets what she wants. Should we say Mabrook to you?

 
At Tuesday, 11 July, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

don,
it was just a 'preliminary' evaluation by the third-party broker. :D

bunaz,
I have much to say, it will be on another post.

 
At Tuesday, 11 July, 2006, Blogger A3sab said...

what are the two first comments...CD your being harrassed!!!

i forgot what i was about to say.

 
At Tuesday, 11 July, 2006, Blogger don_veto said...

Well good luck, hope it all works out.

 
At Tuesday, 11 July, 2006, Blogger MiYaFuSHi said...

A high class matchmaker and CD.

Allah Yastir!

Don't be long....suspense is bad.

 
At Tuesday, 11 July, 2006, Blogger C'est la vie!! said...

chicken nugget,LOL!! Here in the U.S., they call Hispanics with this similar syndrome "coconuts"...because they are brown on the outside but white in the inside...Good luck to you with the matchmaker...and your Grandma sounds like a very strong woman...I see where u get it from (I don't mean that in a bad way)

 
At Tuesday, 11 July, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

teller,
perhaps you can share your experience as well...it would be interesting for me.

3asoob,
LOL, madri min wain 6al3eeli hal ashkaal. I think its the shoes...

don v,
thank you for your warm wishes, but honestly, I didn't expect you to believe in this process. :p

miyooh,
LOL! I think its a complete joke, and am only going thru with it to please my headmistress.

zanzoon,
My grandmother tried to sell it to me using the same argument, and maybe it is true, but its not the way I envisage myself doing it! I want it to happen naturally...not through a 52 year old matchmaker!!

clv,
I dont consider myself a 'chicken nugget' but society placed me in that category, and accuses me of being 'too americanised'..when all i'm trying to be is simply me!
& though I do agree that my grandmother is strong, I dont think I am, I think I'm a bit "daring" thats all. :p

 
At Tuesday, 11 July, 2006, Blogger don_veto said...

no process is perfect, at least in this one you can get a catalog and quickly eliminate the losers. It is fast and somewhat efficient. Am I right in assuming you get to choose also? or is it only you on display?

 
At Tuesday, 11 July, 2006, Blogger Chicken Soup said...

LOL i would neeever agree to seeing a matchmaker. evereverever. there must be something wrong with a guy that goes to a matchmaker, the main one being lack of sha59iya "just hook me up with anyone" or "i dont know what i want in a girl". either that or theyre really shy (and i can't stand shy guys) :P
good luck babe :P

 
At Wednesday, 12 July, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

lol Don v, I don't think I'll be peering into any catalogues...What I think will happen is that I will be advertised to a list of clients, and then I'm not sure what happens later :s.

fwai7
hmm i don't think it means there is something wrong with the guy, maybe he's too busy in his life to meet someone?

zinzin
I'm quite certain I won't find Mr. Perfect For Me through the matchmaker. Maybe I should move to Dubai?

 
At Wednesday, 12 July, 2006, Blogger Erzulie said...

You know, I was never "friendly" with the whole matchmaker scene in Kuwait, whether it was done through family or "professional" matchmakers.
And you always hear of "falling in love and getting married" VS "arranged marriage" and how the so-called social statistics prove that arranged marriages last longer and the ones out of love fall apart after a year or two. In the end, I just think it's a chance and nothing is guaranteed.
Although I do not see myself in an arranged marriage (which I define as a blind date set up by family members) I did witness one and mashallah it is one of the most successful marriages I've seen. But again, this is just one case.
I talked to my friend about this and she said her parents were arranged. Her mother declared once, "You get married and you will end up loving each other." But I thought, "What if that love doesn't come?" Sure, there will be love based on respect for one's role and performed obligations towards family and marital duties, but what about that flicker of passion? It will calm down in time, naturally, but will it ever spark?"
In terms of marriage and relationships, I think everything should come naturally and nothing should be forced. Trusting one's gut is essential, and I do not think that one should be coaxed into doing something because "It's time" or it's expected by family or society as a whole.
The clock may be ticking, but then again, you're going to spend the rest of your life with this person.
Best of luck to you CD. Trust your gut :) And I am sure you don't need that extra touch of blush because your fiery nature gives you that natural color :P
And why Dubai for Mr. Right? I believe in Mr. Right Now in Italy :P Ah, that'll be MY bachelorette trip ;P

 
At Thursday, 13 July, 2006, Blogger tazmanian devil said...

not that i believe in this whole matchmaking business .... but because my mom gets to hyper about me not being married and just to make a her happy i went to see one when i was back home.
I felt like a product selling my good and bad qualities.
And then she asked me the inevitable question what are you looking in a man ? my eyes got so big and i was just staring at my mom and not to forget i had to leave my picture as well with a resume.
though luckily for me i did not have to dress up or apply make up (which i totally suck at... would end up looking like a tart)

how similar is this with things back home :)

 
At Thursday, 13 July, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

zinzin,
i don't exactly have a plan, imkhalyaat-ha 3ala Allah :) and I refuse to obsess about it.
Yallah, imshay wiyay Dubai.

Erzy,
I've also seen arranged marriages work beautifully, but I prefer to do it naturally. I think the flame of love does eventually die down in the marriage, whats important is the underlying friendship and compatiblity, and sex life.
Italy is a great destination for a bachlerotte trip, just make sure u go down south..and count me in ;p
(chinni 3azamt nafsi?)

taz,
LOL, darling, we are PRODUCTS, and this IS a business arrangment, and the matchmaker DOES charge a fee :)....even more reason for me to be skeptical about the whole thing.

hug,
not in a million years.

 
At Thursday, 13 July, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've got chicken nugget syndrome too:(

 
At Thursday, 13 July, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

neo,
why the sad face ? you should be proud ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home