7/02/2006

Politically incorrect table conversation

vocabulary word of the day:

Boorish

boorish: awkwardly ill-mannered


Remember my cockroach on crack ? Well, the more I get to know him, the more I realize that he is not really a cockroach on crack, but more of a boor on crack, who is always, unknowingly, saying the most inappropriate things . While I'm sure we've all committed our share of faux paus, and have clumsily uttered inappropriate statements only to bite our tongues and feel our shame, this guy continues to be artless in his behavior, and totally astounds me with his talent in being ungraceful uncultivated and completely boorish.

I was asked to accompany him on a business lunch with some Americans from San Francisco. During our lunch, one of the American guys launched into a lengthy monologue about a certain project. Usually, when I'm listening to a monologue while stuffing grape vine leaves down my throat, I'll be silent, nodd, maintain eye contact, and maybe occasionally affirm my interest in the conversation by uttering short sentences such as"oh really", "wow", "aah..I see", "ok". But the boor unwittingly dug fiercely into his plate of greasy gluttonous kebab, completly indifferent to the ongoing conversation, wolfed down his food ferociously without even looking up to the speaker, and uttered a continuous loud, and awkward "MMMMMMM" .
It was incredible!
With every deep annoying "MMMMMM" conjured from the back of his throat and out of his mouth, I couldn't help but wonder....is he really enjoying his meat that much, or does he think that resembling an orgasm is an appropriate way to participate in a conversation?
By the fourth "MMMMM", I was rightfully embarrassed, and seriously considered sending him a text message to alert him of his very inappropriate "mmmm" outbursts. Thank God at that moment he began to verbally participate in the conversation (hence discontinuing his "mmmmms") and switched the topic of discussion to a lighter, non-work related subject: domestic help in kuwait.
Of course, this is where our glorious boor decided that he should make a strong impression, and accordingly toss out this charming and completely graceful statement:
"every house in Kuwait has two or three servants, you know, to keep the wife quiet"
I nearly choked on my tabbouli salad when I heard "to keep the wife quiet". Instantly mortified, and rattled at his blatant misogyny, I hurriedly looked up at the table to check the facial expressions of our American guests. They all looked bewildered, and somewhat unsure if they should laugh, or just blink in horror. The female guest, on the other hand, looked straight at me, giving me that knowing glance that said "I am absolutely horrified your colleague just said to keep the wife quiet".
But the real grand outrageous moment that shook the table like an earthquake, and nearly induced cardio heart arrest to myself was when the boor decided to tell us about his experience at X hotel in X American city:
"It was terrible, I was staying at X hotel while they were having a gay lesbian conference. There were gays all around the hotel for the whole weekend, I couldn't even hang around the lobby"
In my head, I am screaming Noooooooooo, boor, nooooooooo! You don't express your homophobia to a bunch of liberals from california!! You just lacerated the very fabric of their democracy, their plights, and efforts of achieving equal rights for the homosexual community.
I was too embarrassed to even look at our guests' faces, but I certainly felt the loud heavy pregnant silence that descended upon us.
Nobody laughed.....
Nobody empathized. ....
Nobody said anything.....
The shock induced silence hovered around our table like a conjested stuffy cloud, and it lingered upon us awkwardly.

25 Comments:

At Sunday, 02 July, 2006, Blogger don_veto said...

CD: Enlighten me, do we really need 2 or 3 domestic helpers to hand us a glass of water and teach our children exotic languages like filipino and urdu ? What is wrong with washing dishes, picking up after yourself and making your own bed? unless someone is an invalid and cannot help himself. What the boor said as a boast, I consider it something to be ashamed of.

 
At Sunday, 02 July, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting...I live on the Ca coast between LA and Frisco, you have to understand that both cities are nations unto themselves in this state, politically socially and just abour every other way they are radically different from the rest of the state. As ill advised as your colleagues comments were you have to understand that you are dealing with a very strange species. The californus liberus is extremely sensitive to any and all perceived lack of tolarance, the slighest most innocuous comment can bring hateful glares and harsh reproach. Their defenition of tolarence is a blind acceptance of any all things. I don't have any particular problem with gays, however, when I see two men kissing full on the mouth I want to puke. Thats it. Thats the way I am. Does this mean I am a raging homophobe? According to their standards I would be worse than that. A gay bashing horrible rascist bigoted mean terrible homophobe. The fact is I just don't care to see guys brushing whiskers, it makes me ill, I dont want to bash anyone, I'm not going to call anyone names. The californus liberus would undoubtedly call for me to engage in rigorous self examination to determine the root of my vile hatred, perhaps I have my own repressed tendencies they would say or maybe my parents brought me up wrong and didnt teach me to be tolarent and of course my religeous upbringing had filled my head with horrible predjudices. Don't feel to bad about your freinds political faux paus, given who you were dealing with even the most banal conversation would haved evoked some liberal outrage.

 
At Sunday, 02 July, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

don v,
hmmm...having domestic help for simply handing us a glass of water is outrageous. But I think if you have a big house, a working wife, and +3 kids, some kind of help is necessary.

hal ugad ladaykom,
LOOOOOOOOOL!!! Thanks for that, you really cracked me up.

I have had my share of interactions with raging liberals from San Francisco (good grief!) you're right, it is not so hard to evoke "liberal outrage" from those folks, so you can imagine my horror when my colleague decided to be outright homophobic in front of them. But being homophobic in general is a bit insensitive no matter what your opinions are, I think. & In california (or at least the parts where congregations of liberatis reside) its definitely taboo.

btw, "californus liberus" is hilarious!!
so, do u understand arabic?

eman,
i deleted your comment drowsily by mistake (it was 7 am, sleepless night, & morning coffee still brewing in the machine)You're welcome to post it again :)

 
At Monday, 03 July, 2006, Blogger A3sab said...

OMG CD why does this always happen to you.

ana asti7ee abayin 7ag il ajanib inna 3indi staff khadam. a7is mo civilized.

this cocroach needs to be squashed

 
At Monday, 03 July, 2006, Blogger SunShine said...

aaahh :S:S not an attractive situation to be in. Good luck!

 
At Monday, 03 July, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

jashanmal,
he is a loose cannon, the things that come out of his mouth mortify me, sometimes he's worse than the barking dog, Msalim il barak! (adri faj2a dakhalt ism il rayal, bas min qahra about the amount of votes he got...ma yistaaahil!!)

3asoobah,
The kind of people I've been exposed to through work has been a surreal experience. Laa7ath-tay shloon gal "keep the wife quiet!"...shino keep the wife quiet..wain ga3deen!

oracle,
you and your buddy HUG have this weird fascination with OC. Mu mushkila, OC post comin up 3alashaaaankum.

sunshine,
girl, i couldn't believe it.

 
At Monday, 03 July, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tara mafeeha shay ina u have khadam. 7atan hni bl states they have maids and nannies all my neighbors do. Wa kilhum Americans .

 
At Monday, 03 July, 2006, Blogger Eman said...

CD thank you for "accidently" deleting the only post that did not agree with your point of view. You wrote that I'm welcome to post it again so that's what I'll do even though I don't remember the exact wording it was along the lines that I admire your friend, Cockroach on Crack (as you call him) for not putting on an act as if Americans were some form of superior beings that we need to impress. Don't tell me YOU don't have a maid?! And yes men DO get domestic help because their wives constantly nag them about. And there is nothing wrong with being homophobic as long as you don't act on it. I know that President Bush is a homophobic and he got reelected. I believe you should revise your tendency to prostrate you culture and beliefs just to get on the good side of a bunch of blindly self righteous arrogant Americans.

 
At Monday, 03 July, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

eman,
it wasn't about the fact that he indicated we have domestic help, it was using the expression "keep the wife quiet".

I don't know about you, but I found this insulting, as a woman.

& i never prostrated my culture.

& who are you to say its ok to be homophobic? Everyone is entitled to their opinion sweetie. I wasn't complaining about his homophobia (even though I find it disgusting) I was complaining about his insensitivity to his guests. I think its very rude to be insensitve to your guests, don't you?

 
At Monday, 03 July, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

tara ib fkry wayed ana agree with eman. Sij lawa3ty chabdee ib kalamech.Eman did not say it is ok to be homophobic, she said there is nothing wrong with being homophobic as long as you do not act on it. Inty sheklech ib kl s'hoola tensain nafsech ou a9lech.

 
At Monday, 03 July, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

emad,
6i7t 3alaik yal "danish citizen".

LOOOOOL! This is your IP address:

host-84-9-101-172.bulldogdsl.com
IP Address 84.9.101.172
Country United Kingdom

(I simply couldn't resist exposing ur double identity...dude, get a life!)

 
At Monday, 03 July, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the gist of all this is not so much about being homophobic or misogynist, but about showing a modicum of social graces when conversing with strangers, in particular strangers from another country and culture. Cockroaches actions showed a distinct lack of class. I do business with many native arabs and have without exception found them to be infinitely polite. Aside from some constant, but always goodnatured, chiding about me being over thirty and not having a wife, my experiences have been nothing but positive. This is not to say one person should kow tow and compromise their beleifs or values to avoid offending another, the issue is rudeness and the lost art of civil and polite conversation.
Hey Cd, my comprehension of arabic is kindergarten level at best, i speak and write spanish fluently and have always had an affinty for languages. I learned the handy little catchphrase above from a freind, although there are not to many places in the middle east i would want to pop off with it unless i felt like being an involuntary guest for a decade or so. I try to learn words by reading arab proverbs, one of my favorites: riHlit il-alf miil tabda’ bixaTwa :)

 
At Monday, 03 July, 2006, Blogger don_veto said...

CD: I was drinking my morning coffee while catching up on the comments from your boorish post. You exposing Danish made me laugh/ drink / spill my coffee all at the same time.

 
At Monday, 03 July, 2006, Blogger A3sab said...

adri having domestic staff mafeeha shay bas cham khadim/nanny mawjoud bilbait hatha illi a7issah mo 6abee3i la2ana fee wayid byoot 3adad ilkhadam akthar min 3adad il 3ailah.

 
At Monday, 03 July, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

don veto,
I'm glad to provide you some laughter with your morning coffee :)
hope u your shirt/dishdasha wasn't stained?

3asoobah,
sajjah, I think its classier to have less. It gives them a stronger sense of belonging to the family, as well as a moral responsibility to care for us and our house.

 
At Monday, 03 July, 2006, Blogger don_veto said...

It was stained, I had to change my dishdasha but it was worth it ;-)

 
At Wednesday, 05 July, 2006, Blogger Fascinacion said...

wow.. can't believe the guy.. so have you said anything to him at all about his behavior ??

 
At Wednesday, 05 July, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

facin,
I didn't tell him anything :s, but I ALMOST sent him a text message about his "mmmm" noises. Girl it was so weird.

bunaz,
I am humbled by your presence in my blog, and absolutely flattered (I have been following your work and checking out your fantastic photography.)
With regards to my government job, the actual job is interesting for me and I enjoy it. But the atmosphere, beauracracy, people, system and POLITICS are a complete nightmare!!!

 
At Wednesday, 05 July, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

loool, sorry but props to the boor. At least the Americans will have a story to tell when they come back State-side, something along the lines of: can you believe those Kuwaitis, no tolerance for women OR men!!! looool sorry

And couldn't the Danish citizen merely be residing in the UK? Just sayin'

 
At Thursday, 06 July, 2006, Blogger Snow said...

no supporting anybody, still.. could he meant having servants so the wife will live comfortably &... i don't know. be less naggy? could it be. coz i know some wife who do houseworks all day, could nag. imagine if a hubby mixes his dirty & clean clothes, in a bundle together, on the floor, like during his bachelor days, & misplaces his car keys and ask you as if you're the psychic network -- wouldn't a wife has the right to simmer? :T

anyway, hopefully he one day change to truly charm you. God Knows Best.

 
At Thursday, 06 July, 2006, Blogger Delicately Realistic said...

Heheheheh CD shino hatha? Tara kisartay kha6ry....kil sa3a a7ad min 9ob? You should write a post about the people who are attacking you on your own blog!

 
At Friday, 07 July, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

lol DR
My internet stalkers are very dear to me. Ma artha :p

 
At Saturday, 08 July, 2006, Blogger A3sab said...

next

 
At Saturday, 08 July, 2006, Blogger Closet Diva said...

bunaz,
I am receiving unique exposure that I don't think would be available to me somewhere else...I definitely don't intend to stay here next year though.

3asoob,
I am itching to mock you know who's zalat ilsan, and the outrageous outburst (dogfight) it managed to stir (its kind of hilarious if u think about it), bas mali khulg contraversy.

 
At Sunday, 09 July, 2006, Blogger A3sab said...

c'mon CD!
lets go CD lets go ooh ooh!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home