11/08/2005

Guilty by Nationality

There are times when I have a voracious urge to pick up the phone, call up the minister of foreign affairs to suggest that we imprint on our shiny blue kuwaiti passports an apology that reads something like this:
"Luck had it that I was born in a desert overflowing with overpriced oil, sorry if that offends you."

Maybe that would put an end to the arab saleswoman in the fashion boutiques from manically dropping all of her non kuwaiti clients and attacking me with unbridaled passion. The attack commences with flattery, overexaggerated gasps on how wonderful my selection is, followed by full blown nagging. It doesn't take more than 2 minutes for this sycophantic behavior to insult my intelligence and make me re-evaluate my own self esteem. And while I struggle to fight this mental negativity, the saleswoman continues to shove outrageous garments in my face emphasizing that all the other young kuwaiti girls are snatching the winter collections.

Whatever
I wouldn't dare wear this crap even if it were halloween. And I already told you I dont like wearing pink flourescent mini skirts on top of jeans. So you can end your foolish garment layering propaganda that misuses the words 'funky" " style" and " creative". And someone needs to tell you that the only creative thing about your merchandise is the triple digit price tag.

but when i finally give in to her BS, and go into a fitting room to try a few items, low and behold the bitch jumps right inside there with me. I have no problem stripping in front of females or doing the female nudity thing in gym locker rooms, but I do have a problem when someone's disgusting chipped manicured nails is all over my breasts:
"excuse me, what are you doing?"

"I'm just fixing the buttons for you"

Damn, girl, what did you have for breakfast. Ugly nails, funky breath, and squashed in a 4 by 4 cubicle with you while I am half naked is not my ideal fantasy of shopping. Sorry your life is tough, but i'm not buying your shit.

Moving right along to my weekly pedicure, I am stuck with Lamees the Leech to take care of me. What was supposed to be my 'me time' to relax, and pamper myself turns into a sympathy therapy fest for the Leech as she unleashes a long winded diatribe detailing the financial difficulties of raising 7 fatherless children back in her home country. Then she tells me that she worries she won't be able to pay her rent for the month, and how only a few kuwaiti women have been kind enough to pitch in. I advertantly pull out an ancient magazine to avoid talking to this woman, but her monologue continues, and I learn all about her tyrannical boss that didn't pay her salary, and how she had to settle for bread and milk for dinner for two weeks straight.

At the end of this pedicure, I felt so bereft, so hollow so spiritually exhausted and consumed, I found myself forking over a 10kd tip. She accepted it as though it were expected of me to give it to her. And even after giving her my money, I still sulked to my car feeling low, depressed, and empty. Then I became incredulous that I just wasted an hour and spent over 20 kd to be some poor woman's therapist, a woman that manipulated me into feeling guilty for being Kuwaiti and fortunate. And there you have it, the burning nostalgia brings me right back to my college days, passing by the Arab student union, whose prominent members decided to wage an anti US policy campaign, asking donations for poor Iraqi civilians. I nonchalantly passed their booths on my way to the cafeteria, as incognito as possible to avoid their attention, and luck would have it the impassioned leader catches me and calls my name:
"CD, would you like to donate some money for Iraqi women and children? (Waving a collection plate right in my face)
"Uh, I don't have any change"
"Thats ok, we accept checks"
"To be honest, I respect what you're doing, but I don't agree with the cause. Sorry"

As I walked away, right behind my back, she fired this insult a little too loudly:
"Selfish rich Kuwaiti bitch "

17 Comments:

At Tuesday, 08 November, 2005, Blogger Temetwir said...

i know what ur sayin, and its mostly 2 nationalities in particular who just wont get off ur back - espicially if theyre young like 20 - 35

a7san shay tegolenlehom "la wayed irkhees abi shay aghla eflosi zayda"

btw ur not alone, same happens with men etha el 7alaag from a certain nationality .. shefokich mn el kalak 3ad

this all doubles when ur abroad too :)

 
At Tuesday, 08 November, 2005, Blogger A3sab said...

Been there... done that. and I know it sucks...we've always been hated and envied. Once in one ofmy classes I was giving an example which happened to be about Kuwait the proffessor who was Arab told me in such a sarcastic and insulting tone:Do you think everything reveloves around Kuwait...its so insignificant". I got all worked up and upset so I told him: "If you think its so insignificant then why do you think so many nations came to its rescue in 1990 making the largest coalition ever. That put him in his place.

 
At Tuesday, 08 November, 2005, Blogger Delicately Realistic said...

You reminded me of the endless Kuwait bashing when I was in school. Was too young then to actually speak my mind and just say GET OVER IT! Comments like: What are you going to do when the oil runs out? Kuwait has to stop depending on other countries? etc. etc.

As for the sales lady, maaadry bs china its a certain shop in Fanar downstairs (will remain nameless for now)? I actually hate going in there because of that attitude, bs shasawy I like some of their stuff.

As for the pedicurist. Always go to the East Asian ladies. Kila imbawzeen o malhom kholg ildinya china yaya o 6agat'ha 6rag. They'll give you ur 30 mins of peace.

 
At Tuesday, 08 November, 2005, Blogger Closet Diva said...

T,
When it comes to shopping, I avoid those specific nationalities like the plague.

A3sab,
I had a fight with one of my professors in college about this issue. 7ameer maiteen min il 7arrah ow ma yibaayin ib 3aynhum.

daffy,
welcome to ma blog! And this begging that they do is really disgusting, & kila kalak.

Mickey,
hahaha thats hilarious! bumper sticker..I could get one custom made for you honey. But would you have it in kuwait, or in cali?

Now that I think about it, it might be a little obnoxious heheh.

And about the uberactivists, I stopped hanging out with the arabs in college the minute they started getting political on me with all their help Iraqies BS.

DR,
Yeah, thats the store! Doesn't it annoy you when she comes inside the fitting room with you? Or when she drops all of her other clients and just nags on you? I'm not stepping into that store ever, its a nightmare!

And about the pedicures, the East Asian ladies are the best. They are full of pride and decency and you won't hear them complaining about being unfortunate when they are the MOST unfortunate of the bunch!

 
At Wednesday, 09 November, 2005, Blogger Gigi said...

What's up with you and Tem posting every other day or even more???

I can't keep up! *sob*

I think you're all doing it on purpose so that I can't get around to commenting!! *glare*

Gigi, busily :"(

 
At Wednesday, 09 November, 2005, Blogger Evil Knievel said...

now i am not kuwaiti but i still go thru the same ... each month my cleaning woman is telling me about her 364 children and her sick mother that can hardly breath and can't chew for herself ... i don't even listen anymore ... sad! ... i just give her a few KD extra.
So I guess contractors are going thru the same shit...
But to all the sales guys out there! Don't even thnk about coming into my cabin!! that could hurt... if you want to see me strip come to the beach and make sure it's not tooo obvious when you watch me ...

ich liebe your blog!

 
At Wednesday, 09 November, 2005, Blogger Closet Diva said...

Gigeeyoo
your comments ynawir my day! no matter how critical they are -you have this 'virtual' aura, Girl, that radiates on the internet.

Evil K,
The German strikes again! If you're really more than 6 feet tall, stripping on the beach can make some people's day....

 
At Wednesday, 09 November, 2005, Blogger Delicately Realistic said...

Oh MY GOD! I can't believe I guessed the right store! Yes she came in with me, and wanted me to buy half the store and I nearly did. By the way, I was there yesterday afternoon but it was closed! Small world. :)

 
At Wednesday, 09 November, 2005, Blogger Sedna said...

I hate feeling guilty because of my nationality. Back in high school people used to drop comments like "doesn't money grow on trees where ur from?" I'd reply softly with an innocent smile. "Don't you just wish you were me?"

Actually half the time I lashed out and got all defensive :P

 
At Wednesday, 09 November, 2005, Blogger U.E. said...

UGH!! This happened to me the other day when I was getting a pedicure; one of the girls (not even the one working with me!) came and sat down and started talking about her daughter graduating from college and how she hasn't seen her in four years and she can't afford to fly back home. I was so uncomfortable. I just nodded sympathetically and made compassionate sighs. But it only encouraged her. I hate situations like that.

I've learned not to acknowledge their behavior because you end up getting taken advantage of. It makes you want to go somewhere else next time... even though I get a great pedicure there it's not worth the stress. :-(

 
At Wednesday, 09 November, 2005, Blogger Caffeinated said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Wednesday, 09 November, 2005, Blogger Caffeinated said...

We can't help being born into a fortunate (or unfortunate)society, such as Kuwait. They are coming to Kuwait voluntarily to work, and still complain...I don't get it. Yes, life is hard: we all have our problems. BUT they CHOSE to come over here to Kuwait because their governments dont care about them. Why not work against their indigenous government to promote CHANGE?? Oh wait, that's right. They have to feed their 20 kids-they can't think about any post-material issues. It's times like those when I think China is right: ONE kid, you get free education and other benefits. Have more kids, it's your responsibility. And what about birth control?? If you can't take care of 20 kids, stop at 19!!! Stop before! Stop the insanity!

AND about the Iraq thing, it's funny how Arab-Americans go to the "land of freedom" (including the freedom of choice) and then berate you when YOU choose something that THEY deem is wrong. It's called personal libery. They need to R-E-S-P-E-C-T it.

Oh, shopping. I gotta relate this one. I went with my guy cousin to get a dress to wear at a wedding here (that in itself is a big salfa, I don't want to look like a peacock, thankyouverymuch!!!) just to show him the insanity of the ladies who work at these shops. I was shown a PINK dress (I'll wear pink once a year MAX) and was told it was the latest model (the skirt looked like a pink "welcome mat" on top of several fisherman's nets). My cousin and I bolted.

Salespeople know nothing about their clientele. It is one thing to gauge your cutomer on what she is wearing at the moment and try to find something that accomodates her style, its another thing to bring out the most expensive dress and practically COERCE her to buy it.

 
At Wednesday, 09 November, 2005, Blogger MissCosmoKuwait said...

Hey girl..I've been pretty busy with life so I had to go back a few posts to read all about your adventurous night..sorry you had to lose the wig! I usually don't wear it till I'm in the car and I should've mention that! Oh well..based on the comments I read..I presume you've heard enough about it so I won't carry on about it but let's just say that I used to use the morrocan excuse and it would work everytime...nowadays..(if I ever get to go that is)...I usually just say in English "I'm sorry..I don't know you..so if you'll excuse me...I have to go stand with my friends..uka..buh buy!"...and when I'm in an aggressive mood..I just say the truth with my head held high and with a look that says "so there!"..:)

As for this post...I totally agree with you...it's even worse abroad..I was in Lebanon...and the sales lady picks up the most expensive pair of jeans and tells me to try it on..they were a nice pair so I ended up going to the fitting room and lucky I was fast enough to put them on before she joined me in there only to tell me that I have a beautiful ass as she feels it up...sadly I froze...hey sometimes I'm a quick reactor and sometimes shock takes over...anyway...when abroad this attitude is actually past on to all GCC countries...thanks to the Black Gold...oil that is...:)...Allah yezeed we yebarik...goolooo ameeeen!

 
At Wednesday, 09 November, 2005, Blogger Sheba said...

i love the typical Kuwaiti stereotypes

 
At Wednesday, 09 November, 2005, Blogger Sheba said...

hehe TOTALLY loved the apology on our passports!!

 
At Thursday, 10 November, 2005, Blogger Bravecat said...

CD, enjoy being Kuwaiti :) And enjoy everything that comes with the nationality. It's not your choice, it's your birthright.

As for the annoying beauticians - I think we all have to go through that sometimes. Believe me it's the same for western girls. They ask you where you are from, say "It's a nice country, you are lucky" and then go into a tirade comparing how unfortunate they are to be from wherever it is they are from. And how privileged (and rich!) I must be, to come from a place I swear they haven't even heard of!
So I would wait with that passport inscription as yet.

=^..^=

 
At Saturday, 19 November, 2005, Blogger BitterSweet said...

The idea of having an apology in your passport is funny, yet totally un-necessary. Do you know how much the state of Kuwait, along side with Saudi Arabia donates to "poor" countries? Kuwait sponsors so many projects worth hundreds of million dinars yearly world wide! You shouldn't feel guilty at all being born Kuwaiti...as kuwait does enough. enjoy it, and let the haters burst out in envy ness.
Great blog BTW, I'm lovin it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home