11/27/2005

Acceptance

Unfortunately, when I travel for work it is mandatory that I fly kuwait airways, even if there are no direct flights but anyway, I've moved on from this painful requirement and accepted it as an interesting experience I wouldn't otherwise normally have!

I mean what other airline would you ever find a bunch of hippie tourists coming back from the far east with their backpacks and dreads, and then a string of niqab wearing women with their numerous noisy children and beard sporting husbands all cramped up together by the gate, waiting for Godot. Then you have the well connected group travellors that take discounted or sometimes free trips from Kuwait Airways for supposedly having serious emergency illnesses in need of a fully subsidized out-of-kuwait medical check-up, but then you somehow spot them shopping across the street. Out of this melting pot of organisms about to embark on kuwait airways was an interesting fella that i really would have liked to know.

This fella had multiple highlights, long hair that fell to his shoulders and a pierced lip. He was sitting down fiddling with his iPod, and i could have sworn he was anything but Kuwaiti, untill I saw him speak to his dishdasha-and-qitra-wearing father with an overcoat on his way to a european country. The clash between father and son was so splendid, that other people noticed too. In fact, one of these people even dared to go as far as snapping a photograph.

The young pierced lip dude noticed this effort and made a scene. He rose up from his chair dramatically to chase after the sneaky photographer, but alas, the security men had to act all mighty and powerful and grab the young man to question his outburst. They were blatantly mocking him as he was relaying to them his grieviances, yet he kept persisting his pleas unthwarted, with full confidence and conviction telling them "no matter who you are, everyone deserves the right of privacy and the right not to be photographed". The security men still weren't taking him seriously, with their nonending disgusting snickers and sarcastic remarks like "enzain itha 9idt il mu9awir, ishbitsaweela wiya wayhik!". I'm not saying that the security men should have pulled out their guns and run after this alleged photographer james bond style, but deriding the guy with such direct ridicule is totally unnecessary and disturbing to me personally.

Its interesting when the young man's old father emerged into the scene, proper decorum and decent language suddenly burgeoned among the security men. But they were not subtle when they fiercely eyed the father and son back and forth in the attempt to make sense of the dichotomy. Their thought process in that mili second was so transparent that the father immediately realized that it was useless, pulled his son away and maintained his dignity. I was touched, and I wistfully fantasized of the day when people in kuwait will treat everybody with the same respect without loudly displaying narrow minded judgements based on somebody's unorthodox appearance. But you see, we are a culture that thrives on behavior homgeneity, and we love to take absolute hegemony in dictating how one should be and how one should look like and conveniently wave it under the flag of 'tradition' and 'religion'.

I think this as I walk down the streets of a modern city, with people of all kinds of differences. An old african man with dreads cascading to the floor is playing merrily on his drums, a young well dressed blonde woman passes him, stops to admire his musical flavor, tosses him a coin, a shabby looking man with a visible tatoo on his neck banging his head to the beats of his CD player flashes me a smile and keeps walking on by, and a clean cut jogger kindly stopping to give a young woman with black lipstick and gothic jewelery directions.

I wanted to go back to that young fella from the airport with long highlighted hair and peirced lips to tell him that he had every right to be angry, and then beg him not to be dismayed.

8 Comments:

At Sunday, 27 November, 2005, Blogger Bravecat said...

CD,

I wonder what this guy was so upset about in the first place. Would he be that angry if he wore a more traditional outfit and someone tried to take his picture? I think (and hope) not.

You bring examples of different behaviour in the West. Well, yes, you are right of course, people there are more accustomed to such displays of character and individuality. And a fella with dreads and pierced lips in the West would have smiled at the photographer (most probably), or ignored the photographer (least likely, but still possible), but would have never lashed out at him/her. In the West taking pictures of people is not an offence. I have never seen people acting so ferociously just because someone took their picture that they had to be restrained by security.

So maybe acceptance and tolerance has to go both ways.

However I do agree with you that the security people should have treated the guy with all the respect.

=^..^=

 
At Monday, 28 November, 2005, Blogger Closet Diva said...

Q C,
Most of the time people take pictures in kuwait not for artistic interests, but to circulate them via email or bluetooth and slander a person's reputation. I have received many email forwards making fun of gay men along with their photographs, and I promise you their photographs were taken without their knowledge.

Even in the West, I would still like to give permission to somebody randomly wanting to take my photograph, even if its for the sake of art. I think its only proper to make sure the subject wouldn't mind.

MsB,
I hate Kwt Airways too, bas I have to travel on that airline on business :(

but you know what, the clientele are just as entertaining as live theatre, which almost makes up for airline quality.


Mishmish,
I once had a random guy take a picture of me while I was eating in a restaurant in Barcelona. I didn't really mind, but I didn't like the authority he assumed in taking my picture without requesting my permission.

 
At Monday, 28 November, 2005, Blogger Delicately Realistic said...

wonder if hes a blogger

miss u dear

 
At Monday, 28 November, 2005, Blogger Bravecat said...

CD,

Here we come to the other edge of the problem... it's all so tangled up that I wouldn't know where to begin sorting it out! :^) What was the picture taken for, and how, is very important, no argument there. But how can you tell? Besides, what difference does it make - seeing a guy in broad daylight, or seeing his picture? If he doesn't mind people looking at him in the airport, why mind the photograph? Even if it is circulated via bluetooth? Yeah I would mind if someone took a picture of me when I think I am alone, i.e. changing room, home, elevator, etc. But if I sit in the airport lounge and people LOOK at me - what difference a photograph will make?

I guess I have to be a local to understand all the underlying nuances of the situation... therefore I better stop writing and start reading other people's opinions.

I agree with you on the main subject of your post.... people should be treated with respect, whether they wear a thob or have a pierced lip. You have my total support there.

=^..^=

 
At Monday, 28 November, 2005, Blogger A3sab said...

Ya I hate kuwait airways too and even though the tickets are double the rate of other airlines, govt. institutions still insist that their emplyees only fly on it. It sucks. I'd rather go on different airlines even if it werent a direct flight

 
At Tuesday, 29 November, 2005, Blogger Closet Diva said...

DR,
well if he is, i hope he reads this :)

Q cat,
I see where you're coming from...its defintiely a culture thing. people here love to gossip, and hate to be victims of gossip.

A3sab,
I second that.

NWMH,
thank u :) and welcome to my blog

 
At Monday, 05 December, 2005, Blogger Gigi said...

1)Who (or what) is godot?

2)I loved how you used the word "splendid". Hehehe madri laish wayid istanasat 3alaiha! I wanna use it in one of my posts soon. Keep an eye out for it and know that I will have been thinking of this post when I typed it =D

3)I hate having my picture taken, period.

4)I don't see how the security men were treating the guy like that because of his looks. I chalked up their relative respect for the father as merely having to do with his age.

5)Loved the word "burgeoned" =D

6)Food for thought: I wonder if the modern trend of judging individuality based on the "uniqueness" of someone's outward appearance couldn't really just be interpreted as a sign of superficiality?

7)Last paragraph was lovely. Very cinematic.

Gigi, variously

 
At Monday, 05 December, 2005, Blogger Closet Diva said...

Hey Geeg,

I think your Bullpoop character is a great invention! I wonder if there is an actual exact word that would describe a Bullpoop..

'Waiting for Godot' is a (boring) play by Samuel Beckett about two people sitting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waaahaaaaiting for 'Godot' -who never arrives. Godot's identity is not really identified in the play, but it is interpreted to be God (as in Jesus Christ returning to the people, as the Christians believe).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home